Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Just when I thought it was all over...

Ta da!
Lolly  has arrived

It started out like any other Wednesday.  I dropped the peanut off at school, returned home and started on the breakfast dishes (pretty exciting so far, huh?)  I had just taken out the kitchen trash and as I bent down to grab a new trash bag something caught my eye.  Lolly had emerged!  I was so excited!  Mostly because I had all but given up on her.  I was truly convinced she didn't make it.  It had been forever since she had chrysalized - 15 days to be exact - and I just had a funny feeling.  So, imagine my surprise when she appeared!  I can't believe she was right there on the windowsill, slowly emerging from her cocoon right in front of me and I didn't even notice...I was so engrossed in doing the dishes.
I haven't set her free yet for 2 reasons.  The first, hungry birds are more likely to gobble her up in the early morning and secondly, the peanut needs to see her!  She is glorious to say the least.  I even saw another Giant Swallowtail flitting about the same tangerine tree where I found Lolly, so today must be "Coming Out" day.


I have since moved her to larger diggs and have supplied her with some food (a cotton ball soaked in sugar water) until the peanut gets home and we set her free.  I hope to take some video of her maiden flight and will post it here.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Beautiful! What did she think? I bet she was amazed.

Tuscaloosa said...

she is absolutely beautiful!

Jaimee McClellan said...

How exciting and magical...your "peanut" will be amazed (Although, I have a bit of a phobia of all things fluttery and squishable) :)

 
UA-4704716-1