Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Obsessed

Project Number 1
Behold the current state of the built in bookshelf.  Location: Living room
At first glance the photo doesn't look so bad...but look closer



Inspiration bookshelf.  
I love the contrasting color inside the shelves, the storage bins
and all that...beauty.

O.K., I have a confession to make.  I'm obsessed with organizing. It's a shame that obsession hasn't yet translated into actually being organized.  What it does translate into is browsing the aisles of the Container Store, Target, thrift shops, just about anywhere really, in search of beautiful items with which to contain, camouflage or hide my clutter or, better yet organize my clutter. I attempt to read every article online or in magazines regarding getting organized & reducing clutter.  Real Simple & Martha Stewart are my new best friends.  

I have now decided that my obsession needs to become something real.  In order to make that happen I've given myself a new goal.  GET ORGANIZED, once and for all.  My plan of attack is to pick an unorganized area of my home or studio and focus completely on that one space until it is organized to perfection.  It's sort of like the addage, "How do you eat an Elephant?  One bite at a time." (although I would never advocate eating elephants).

So, one bite at a time I'm getting organized....Join me, won't you?  I'll be posting before, during and after photos and invite you to do the same.  I would also love to hear which organizing tip and tricks have worked for you.

My first project is an abandoned corner of the living room, a built in bookcase that is overrun with clutter and a serious lack of functional and attractive storage.  It needs to serve as storage for books, video games and controllers (which we never use or play with, but I don't care as long as I don't have to look at them!) a few family photos and my unintentional apple collection etc.

I would like to have some attractive storage baskets or bins such as these:

Feathergrain Bins at The Container Store $14.99 to $34.99

Feathergrain Boxes at the Container Store $14.99 to $24.99

I'm also thinking about painting the inside of the shelves a nice, bright color. Not too bright though, as I'm married to a man who is scared to death of color.  My first thought is something in a golden tone, I must find paint chips now.  The quest begins...



1 comment:

Unknown said...

I have the top boxes but in a lighter wood from the container store and I love them. They are in the boys closet to store their socks and small items. I love your inspiration wall too. the contrasting color in the background makes the shelf really pop.

 
UA-4704716-1